Apple chips are made with thinly sliced apples that have been lightly dusted with cinnamon and baked until pleasantly crisp. Homemade healthy apple chips are an incredibly addictive snack. However, unlike store-bought apple chips, this recipe contains no sugar, and the chips are baked rather than fried. It is the pinnacle of healthy snacking! They become more irresistible as they cool, gaining a distinct sweetness and crispness that makes them even more tempting. Leaving aside the fact that they are delicious and convenient as a snack, these apple chips can be consumed guilt-free because they retain the fiber and nutrients of an apple and contain no added sugar.
Ready time: 20 minutes, Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes, Total Time: 4 hours, Servings: 3 cups yield
- 3 large-size sweet, crisp apples
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon powder
- Set the oven range to 200 degrees F. Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Set the oven range to 350°F to preheat and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Wash and clean apples. Core the apples with a sharp knife, the small cookie cutter the round side of a metal piping tip (or omit this step if you don't mind a few seeds in the chips).
- Slice the apples horizontally into 1/8-inch-thick rounds using a mandolin (recommended) or a very sharp knife.
- Assemble the apples on the arranged baking sheets in a single layer. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake for 1 hour in the lower third rack.
- Discard the baking sheets and rearrange the pans on the upper and lower shelves. Continue baking for an additional 1 to ½ hours until a single apple chip removed from the oven is crisp after 2 to 3 minutes at room temperature (the total time will vary based on the thickness of your piece and the type of apple).
- Switch off the oven; leave the apples in the range for 1 hour to cool and crisp up even more (unless you fear you overcooked them, in which case remove the pan immediately and let it sit at room temperature).